Monday, October 29, 2012

Lemon Cupcake Recipe

Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes 
with Lemon Curd Filling & Blueberry Cream Cheese Icing.

A Few of you guys asked me for a recipe for some cupcakes I made recently.
I got the recipe idea here so it's not original with me but because I kind of cheated and didn't totally follow the recipe I'll put it up here exactly like I made them.


My cheat sheet for a quick lemon cake.

Lemon Cake Using A White Cake Mix
By Cake Central


  • 1 box white cake mix
  • 1 box of lemon instant pudding mix (the small box)
  • 1/2 tsp of pure lemon extract
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup of oil
  • 1/2 cup of water (squeeze lemon to get all the juice and add water to make it 1/2 cup)
  • 1 Tbsp Poppy Seeds (my personal addition for this recipe)

Read more at Cake Central 



Lemon Curd Filling

  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
Whisk together ingredients in a double boiler. Cook for about 15 min stirring occasionally until it thickens. Remove from heat and cool. 

After my cupcakes had cooled a bit I scooped out a little of the insides and replaced it with the lemon curd. See pictures. 



Blueberry Cream Cheese Icing

  • 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
  • 1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
  • 1 8oz Cream Cheese
  • 1 Cup Powdered Sugar 

Blend blueberries in food processor with softened cream cheese. Mix in remaining ingredients

I found the icing at this point to be a litte more runny then I wanted for cupcakes. I had to add more cream cheese to get the consistency better. The original recipe wasn't counting for the juice that frozen or fresh blueberries would have. 





No comments:

Post a Comment