Tuesday, January 22, 2013

One Christmas Eve

Hello friends!
I am finally getting around to starting this blog post about Zion's birth. I can't predict if I will finish it today or not but starting is better than nothing right?

So I'll try not to go into super detail but I always enjoy reading other birth stories so I guess I will put mine out there as well.  Also I know there are certain subjects that tend to be a bit controversial but please understand that everyone has the right to make their own choices and decions and so I ask that you please respect that. 

It all began on Christmas eve. Husband had some relatives come here from Houston to visit us and explore San Antonio for the day. I warned them a head of time that I probably would not be able to join them all day as I was getting to the point of being easily worn out. I joined them for lunch and then went off to do some last minute shopping with my little brother at Target. While shopping I kept getting contractions that I just assumed were Braxton hicks since I had been getting those off and on for the past few weeks. They were just strong enough for me to have to basically stop walking for a few seconds. Thank goodness for carts to lean on. 

At 6:00pm we arrived back at our apartment. Husband's relatives were just heading home and we had made tentative plans to go out for Christmas eve dinner with my brother and a friend from church. The three of us were just relaxing around the apartment waiting for the time to come to go for dinner when at approx. 7:00pm my water broke. Although this is what I had been hoping and praying for it still took me by surprise and I fairly freaked out for the space of a few seconds (this was finally it!!!) while husband assured me that everything was going to be fine. Thankfully we had everything packed a head of time and ready to go and we were headed out the door to the hospital in less then 30 min. Husband had called the midwife and informed her that we were on our way in. After arriving at the hospital they checked me to find that I was dilated 2cn and admitted me to our labor and delivery room. 
Contractions continued to be manageable until the baby started getting super squirmy. I have no idea why but he was giving me the most awful case of "lightening crotch" (as I have heard it referred to) that you could imagine. He just kept moving and kicking/punching me and it was making it very difficult for me to manage the contractions along with the sharp sporadic pain from him moving. I can't remember but I think it was 11:00 or 12:00 when I finally got the epidural.
After the Epi - A Smile??!!
Passing time in a more peaceful manner.
Thank goodness for epidurals is all I can say. Not just for my sake but for my husband's as well. He had been up since 4:00am that morning and was exhausted. After the epi we were both able to get some amazing sleep that night. At one point during the night I woke up and freaked out because I wasn't feeling anything and I was so afraid that the contractions had stopped and we were just waiting while nothing was happening. The nurse and midwife came in and said everything was fine but they did put me on a very low dose of pitocin just to speed things along. Christmas day came!! According to me it still didn't feel like things were all that speedy. We waited until lunch when the midwife finally said that it was time for us to start pushing. I was so happy at that point thinking that we would see our son in just a few hours. They began letting the epidural wear off a bit when I started to push. Unfortunately minutes passed, hours passed and still no baby. I was getting very tired and wore out. The midwife told me she wouldn't let me go for more than 3 hours before she asked for assistance from a Dr. She finally got the Dr who was on staff, a really sweet lady. At first she thought maybe the baby was posterior which would explain why I was having such a hard time. She asked if she could do an episiotomy and use the vacuum extractor to assist the baby in navigating through the pelvis. At this time I was quite in tears but I knew that something had to be done and soon. By this time the baby had passed meconium and they needed to bring in the NICU unit. As soon as I gave them her the ok to go a head with the new plan, people began flooding into the room. I can't remember but I believe there were around 8 people in the room besides us and the Dr. Not how I had imagined things but believe it or not I no longer even cared. After what seemed like forever and ever little Zion was finally born at 5:18pm on Christmas day. 
A proud and happy daddy.

I was so extremely happy to finally see my baby. It made the 4 1/2+ hrs pushing totally worth it to see his little face and tiny hands and feet and everything be so perfect. As ridiculous the pain is it's crazy how you could think it was worth anything but of course it is. As my midwife said "It's going to be the best and worst day of your life". I think she was right. 

Pardon the puffy eyes and face. :(
There goes my heart.
Getting his first bath at the hospital.
Fresh baby! :)
My gorgeous hospital bangles.

Getting ready to go home.

Just in case some of you have not yet experienced, let me be the first to tell you that the birth is not the end of your pain and troubles. Recovery has tried to kill me more than a few times but somehow by the grace of God I have survived my first month post partum. Unfortunately to this day I can't say that I am fully recovered but I am definitely on my way. I am so glad to know that not everyone has such a rough time but just in case you happen to be one of those who does I pray a blessing over you. I pray that you have a loving husband who can do literally everything for you and that you can claim strength and power through God. Without that I have no idea how I would have survived. Just as the meaning of Zion's name, God is indeed my help. 

Well, it's getting late. I should go.
Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment